Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Tanda of the Week 35/2015 - 1950's instrumentals - Federico, Biagi, Varela & Polito! - DJ Antti Suniala



I will be playing at the La Endorfina tango marathon in Poland in October!

-----------


1. Domingo Federico - "Leyenda gaucha" 1952
2. Rodolfo Biagi - "El recodo" 1952
3. Héctor Varela - "Mi dolor" 1953
4. Juan Polito - "El internado" 1952

https://open.spotify.com/user/anttiveikko/playlist/61wwEewQeQnbRJKCSOJWQU
http://www.deezer.com/playlist/1351759575I believe I've been hyping the early 1950's instrumental tangos a fair amount and that's exactly what I'll do again in this post. I played this tanda last Sunday and I thought it came out really good. It's a mix of songs that are difficult to fit into tandas of equally great songs from the same orchestra; the only exception possibly being Biagi's "El recodo", but even then you would fall short in my opinion. I wouldn't say the other three songs in this tanda are such classics as "El recodo" but they are definitely some of the best the individual orchestras have in their discography and top notch songs that all have very high energy without being overly uptempo and also great bandoneon variaciones to finish the songs off. Also Polito's "El internado" is one of the few songs available to mere mortals in high quality.

Juan Polito (read the biography at Todotango.com) played in D'Arienzo's orchestra on two time periods and "El internado" is indeed very D'Arienzoesque. Still the arrangement is slightly different and the great pianist gets to showcase his skills in wonderful fashion.

Enjoy!

------

PS. The cortina is from the band of my talented girlfriend and I had the opportunity to be part of filming and directing their first video. Check it out!

2 kommenttia:

  1. >>I believe I've been hyping the early 1950's instrumental tangos a fair amount and that's exactly what I'll do again in this post.
    :) And why not!

    Brave tanda! I think that could come off. I prefer this kind of high energy, dramatic music *without* singers. I'd get up to Leyenda gaucha with the right guy & guess I might dance the tanda. But...it's a stylised,"built" tanda. In the organic reality of the milonga when I hear Biagi I want more Biagi & when I hear it but there's no more it feels odd.

    Imagine a person pretending to be a puppet moving in robotic style - at first I thought the Juan Polito's El internado was a bit too much like though it's growing on me apace. Still, I feel it tries too hard. Someone said recently that D'Arienzo in 1935 "misses some juice". If you compare the D'Arienzo El internado from 35 with this, I reckon you have that juice. But right now I still prefer the d'Arienzo 1935 and '54 and the Biagi '53.

    By the way I don't think the piano's particularly startling compared to Biagi or Di Sarli. But then I love the restrained, very individual piano in Rodriguez (I know you've said it isn't your thing) and in say Carabelli's Mi refugio (awful sound, especially for the piano sadly) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJasG7PNzTA I can see that this track might not be everyone's thing for dancing but in this, in Rodriguez and in Biagi it's more that the piano is not only very individual and distinctive accompaniment, it also punctuates with something interesting to say rather than something to show off. You can pick almost any Rodriguez to hear this but here's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVb8pwS8TAw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete